Friday, August 10, 2007

Idylls of the King

I can't get over these lines:

Your face like a vision straight out of Holly Hobby
Late light drizzling through your hair
Your eyes twin volcanoes
Bad ideas dancing around in there


Because all I can think of is a possessed, maybe even life-sized Raggedy Ann doll as (would have been) seen in The Omen. I mean, it's either that or the Patchwork Girl of Oz. Which is a lot less frightening, because Scraps, as we all know, was great. This interpretation also (awesomely, to my way of thinking) turns the "I" of this song into the Scarecrow, who is my favorite Oz character.

I know, I know -- this is Tallahassee, not a whimsical romp through the magical Land of Oz. All the same, suddenly it all fits: huge crows, the shrieking of innumerable gibbons, possibly also the vultures, and, best of all, our shared paths unraveling behind us like ribbons. It also means that the Scarecrow is having weird, probably portentous dreams about armies/armies of ghosts, which is not un-Oz-like, and can only mean one thing: invasion.

No comments: